NATIONAL ALLIANCE FOR MENTALLY ILL (NAMI) HOTLINE
NAMI envisions a world where all people affected by mental illness live healthy, fulfilling lives supported by a community that cares.
NAMI provides advocacy, education, support, and public awareness so that all individuals and families affected by mental illness can build better lives.
- Hope: We believe in the possibility of recovery, wellness, and the potential in all of us.
- Inclusion: We embrace diverse backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives.
- Empowerment: We promote confidence, self-efficacy, and service to our mission.
- Compassion: We practice respect, kindness, and empathy.
- Fairness: We fight for equity and justice.
What We Do
We educate. Offered in thousands of communities across the United States through NAMI State Organizations and NAMI Affiliates, our education programs ensure hundreds of thousands of families, individuals, and educators get the support and information they need.
We advocate. NAMI shapes national public policy for people with mental illness and their families and provides volunteer leaders with the tools, resources, and skills necessary to save mental health in all states.
We listen. Our toll-free NAMI HelpLine allows us to respond personally to hundreds of thousands of requests each year, providing free information and support—a much-needed lifeline for many.
We lead. Public awareness events and activities, including Mental Illness Awareness Week and NAMIWalks, successfully fight stigma and encourage understanding. NAMI works with reporters on a daily basis to make sure our country understands how important mental health is.NAMI relies on gifts and contributions to support our important work.