UTILITY- PUBLIC UTILITY COMMISSION OF OHIO
Our mission is to assure all residential and business consumers access to adequate, safe, and reliable utility services at fair prices while facilitating an environment that provides competitive choices.
The mission is accomplished by
- Mandating the availability of adequate, safe, and reliable utility service to all business, industrial and residential consumers.
- Ensuring financial integrity and service reliability in the Ohio utility industry.
- Promoting utility infrastructure investment through appropriate regulatory policies and structure.
- Regulating utilities’ rates and terms of service for monopoly and non-competitive services.
- Monitoring and enforcing compliance with rules and statutory protections against deceptive, unfair, unsafe, and anti-competitive utility practices.
- Safeguarding the security of Ohio’s regulated motor carrier and rail operations, through aggressive inspection, training, monitoring, and education programs.
- Enhancing safety at all public highway-railroad grade crossings in Ohio through education and the installation of lights and gates and other safety devices.
- Resolving through mediation, arbitration, and adjudication disputes between utilities and residential, commercial, and industrial customers, as well as between competing utilities.
- Fostering competition by establishing and enforcing a fair competitive framework for all utilities.
- Utilizing advanced technology for monitoring and enforcing utility compliance, facilitating the provision of information to stakeholders, and sharing information between state and federal agencies.